Friday, May 12, 2006

With Gaaaa-wd on our saaaa-ide

I am ITCHING to skip straight to the Johnny Cash.

Reader, let it be understood without any doubt remaining whatsover that music is above almost everything else, for me. Even above literature. There, I said it. No big deal, really, multitasking brains and opposable thumbs, y'know. But still. I can't claim to have heard more music than anybody or the coolest bands or anything - and I don't care to, that sort of declaration has nothing to do with music and everything to do with the distended, diseased ego even so-called 'music experts' often fall prey to.

However, my musicobsession should not be construed as indicative of an indiscriminately open mind. I am willing to try anything twice - I will make the effort I sometimes I do not even make for books or for people - but I will not stand being talked down to - my experience as a musician and a listener deserves simple human respect, and a little more from hacks who take the easy route and say, for example, oh, you don't get Jimi Hendrix, you're a loser.

I don't get Jimi Hendrix. What does that mean? Precisely that. I don't get Jimi Hendrix. What it doesn't mean: that I'm somehow 'inferior' or 'ignorant' because I don't enjoy his music.



Oh, and by the way: the next person who says that Queen the band are 'not worth talking about' needs to... do either of the following:
1) Listen to their damned music already. Don't open your mouth before you've opened your ears, idiot.
2) Accept that this is their own opinion and that it does not allow them to stomp childishly over people who like Queen. Music is not about power, or at least it should not be and why perpetrate when you can progress?



I think Frank Zappa is the shit. It's ok by me if you think it's shit. You want to discuss it? Let's agree to disagree and START FROM THERE. Let's shake hands. Or just shake your hips. Music is fun. It's not your kingdom and bands are not your phantom army. Listen and let listen.

4 comments:

ak said...

Agree, agree. But I do enjoy stomping over people who like Britney. Hmph!

Abhimanyu said...

Who said Queen is bad??? I would cheerfully stomp over them.

And while I agree with you entirely on some levels, I can't help but think that some kinds of music fans need to be mocked mercilessly for their lack of taste. Anyone who likes Vanilla Ice or New Kids On The Block for starters...

Comes down to the age old 'are all tastes equal' debate in which I'm firmly in the traditionalist/elitist snob side in saying 'no'.

fyn scarlet reed said...

Nihilist: Shite is Irishy, therefore it must be cool? Eheh.
Oh god, yes, 'new country'. Pthooey.

Anirudh: I feel a smidgen of sorrow for the poor woman. But it's like Kavya Vishwanathan - there's something self-congratulatory about pitying the stupid.

Abhimanyu: So would I. Or should.
I've noticed that most people who listen to New Kids and the like are... 'new' to the whole experience of listening to music itself. I'd like to find out how many people, young people let's say, having started out with the execrable commercial pop designed to make brains leak slowly out, go on to other things and still profess their adoration for said pop. I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. Well, when I'm not angry at them ;]

Rebecca said...

I love Queen. Because they all wrote songs, they're all so innovative and different. And let's face it, they're camper than a row of pink tents with Morrissey and Marr in them....