Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I was in the room when my mother was watching one of the Bangla TV programmes - you know the kind, with segments on cooking and health and law and fashion. The latter my mother watches to 'check out the competition', as I like to call it. Today's fashion segment featured a stinking rich, greasily complacent woman boasting about how she gives jobs to 'underprivileged children'. Um... does she know how creepy that sounds? My mother told me about this fifteen year old girl. She was hired by a boutique owner to do extensive embroidery on a sari. It was the girl's first real job, and did it with complete enthusiasm, staying up nights to finish it by lamplight. When she was finished, the boutique owner gave her... thirty rupees. The girl went home and cried because she would have thrown the money in the woman's face except when you're poor thirty rupees is better than nothing and it was - it is a form of prostitution but what can you do? I can't not hate these women with their fluorescent orange hair (a hundred henna treatments all gone wrong), with their mincing little-girl voices, with their expensive jewellery, going on these fucking 'women's shows' and making their name out of someone else's labour, the someone else invariably cheated out of her deserved pay.


Submitted my L&OA paper yesterday. It's twelve pages of doublespaced but solid prose. I'm quite sure it won't be boring, although I felt a little twinge of regret looking at everyone else's papers, all prettily foldered-up, with pictures to complement the text. I'm not big on the funky fonts, though, this is a paper and not a fan website. I have great hopes for my paper, I'll work on it some more.

5 comments:

ak said...

I hate such women too. And now that I'm out of school, I can finally submit sensible projects instead of obvious stuff complemented by pictures.

Bone said...

my font is palatino linotype. not too fancy, but it doesn't give me the kind of official-look-induced headache that times new roman does. clean with nice edges, plus makes your assignments look longer, me loves. and yes, comic sans sucks. incredibly.

March Hare said...

what did u write ur paper on???

@meigelsweep - L&OA is Literature and Other Arts.

roswitha said...

Agreed on the fonts and pickshures. I'm a Snape as far as fonts are concerned, actually; if they're cramped, stiff and black, I feel like I've achieved something solid. I've never double-spaced a paper in my life, and they've always been Arial 10.

And I'm very interested to know what they say about your paper. I ahve high hopes for you too!

fyn scarlet reed said...

M: Yes, it's not even funny.

Anirudh: I feel disadvantaged. All we had to do in school was break our brains studying for exams.

TBC: Some professors seem to prefer Courier... It looks clunky and like a fake document. Eh.

Sen: 'Brokeback Mountain' :]

Roswitha: <3