Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A man of means by no means

Reading by candlelight is interesting. If I'm really caught up in the book, the flickflickshadowflick makes it such a sensuous experience, even if the book itself is, say, Jung's 'Modern man in search of a soul' (you know what depths of despair a person is plumbing when they dredge up that title). So, yes, summer is here. Summer in Kolkata is always going to remind me of woesome things like mortality, and winter of freedom and warmth and wellbeing. Oh the joys of varying perspectives.



Jack Nasty loves you

'Brokeback Mountain' on Sunday, the cheapest ticket, which was a meagre one-thirty rupees. My pockets have phantom pain. It was beautiful. It wasn't perfect, but if I put aside the criticism and consider what it means to me, it means a tremendous lot. As it did to many other viewers, I am sure. This may or may not include the group of giggling high school boys sharing the same row at Inox Forum (all dressed in virginal white...). I'm in half a position now to contribute, if belatedly, to the BBM-vs-Crash debate, but I don't particularly care for the Oscars (anyone in their right mind will tell you it's all about the gowns, and even the gowns are getting ugly), and after everything I've read about 'Crash' I can't come away wanting to see it instead of BBM a second time - or even saving up for 'V for Vendetta'.



Speaking of theatres and films. Apparently it's unusual, for someone like me (read 'J.U.D.E student') to not be a regular theatre-and-or-cinema- goer. Apparently this means I am stodgy (what I heard before college as, inevitably, 'bhalo meye, podashona kore, disco-fisco-e jaye naa') and lead a sad, sad life. I do actually have a sad, sad life, but not sad-as-in-pathetic.
There were some screenings of the 'right' kind of films, recently, that I saw posters of and wanted to go to. I'm talking about the Fell Beast Fellini. I should have gone. But I had no time. Horror of horrors, that must mean she's cramming for exams that are, well, a whole month away!
I've suspected this for a while: people who are ambitious, even aggressively so, but do not go around tooting and tuttling trumpets - there's this popular assumption that they're so radical they must be not radical at all. The seventh circle of Pomo hell. Occasionally, I admit, I feel like promoting my various talents (how many people in college who know me know that I sing? I paint? I swim?), but screw that. I'm going to do things my way, and not because I need the most impressive resume/a raving fanclub/whatever. That's what punk is all about.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exact words:( self trumpeting seems to be the only work in JU eng.

ak said...

Enjoyable post. By the way, what does J.U.D.E mean? Is J.U Jadavpur Univ.?

March Hare said...

u sing too?? wow!! didnt know that...

La Figlia Che Piange said...

But you hardly talk to anybody Isheeta, and you're not very approachable either, I think I've said that before.

fyn scarlet reed said...

Mimi: Well, there's also the popular pastime of discussing professors and whatnot... *clears throat*

Anirudh: Yep :]

Sensational: It's ok, lots and lots of people don't.

Srin: See, I can't fully understand why this label is repeatedly slapped on me. I've been told that I'm 'too introverted'; I've been told I'm 'too garrulous'. What gives? I'm an approachable person - when I am approached at all. There are certain kinds of bullshit I will not tolerate from people, even myself, so if the complaint here is that I'm a 'snob' or that I 'snark' too much - sorry, being approachable does not, for me, equal to bending myself every way to talk to every one. I know that's not what you mean, but. You've surely noticed that there are peer groups, cliques, in college, and it's natural, but I'm not at fault for belonging to a relatively small group, am I?

Krahe: Rebelling is hard work, isn't it.
And Eric the Red! Magnificent, truly worthy of the man in question ;]

La Figlia Che Piange said...

There's a difference between an adjective and a label. I'm not labelling you.

fyn scarlet reed said...

Srin: Accepted :] In which case the rant is still directed at the world at large. Woe is me.