Wednesday, November 09, 2005

An eventful life.

I'm giving Jane Austen a second chance. I made that sound so pompous. Do I have a choice in the matter? Haha. There's something wrong with me, or with Austen: all this talk of 'exquisite development of plot' and 'skilfully built-up suspense' and what-have-you when from the very beginning I was reading with the assurance that Mr Knightley and Emma Woodhouse would hook up. In an Austenian way they are so perfect for each other, and only that marriage could ensure the sort of conclusion to an Austen novel that Austen would have written. What with Emma being too happy and comfortable with her life at home with her father and not wanting to move away, and Mr Knightley being the arrogant, upright, rational creature that he is... I'm surprised to find that it was meant to be some kind of revelation to the reader.

In other news I have a cold.

*hits head against desk* I wish there was something a little more exciting that I could do.

5 comments:

Bone said...

hehe... isn't 'emma' just insufferable? had it in school last year... one entire year of 'emma' instead of six months due to some board fuck-up... must've been a miracle that i survived!

JUDE ug1 is so painful.

fyn scarlet reed said...

i have a set of opinions that makes it extra painful, but even if i'm taking things slow *pauses to consider language* 'Emma' really is insufferable!

one entire year sounds bad, although i suppose having to assimilate *pauses again* all of this in a few weeks for a semester exam is bad, too, in a different way.

La Figlia Che Piange said...

Ooohhh nnnooo, I have'nt even BEGUN yet and look at you.

fyn scarlet reed said...

Well, at least it's readable. Unlike 'Hard Times'...

Bone said...

oh you have some other novel that apparently sucks more than 'emma'?

JUDE ug1 is sooooo muchhhh morrrre painful.