Friday, November 11, 2005

You know they've done a sloppy job in the costume/makeup department

when the edges of the pillow are poking at the surface of a woman's pregnant belly. Ahh, bangla serials!

I was disturbed to note that the husband stood around outside the operating room (or 'operation theatre', as they so fancifully call it). 'He should be inside, with his wife. What the hell is he doing?' But I am informed that this is not an embarrassing oversight or personal preference - apparently in India the husband isn't allowed inside.

I don't know if it's true. Or, if it's true, for how many people - just the husband? Are female relatives/friends excluded, too?

If it's true, it's... disgusting. What is it supposed to do, save the poor menfolk from the traumatic vision that is the birth of a child? Butchered bodies, burning buildings, rinse repeat ad infinitum, but childbirth... shudder!

--

Nothing happened today. I didn't 'study' much. Still haven't made much headway with 'Hard Times'. I want to see some Fillum Feshtible movies, but I can't find anyone to go with me. I told myself last year during exams, 'I will next year, I simply must', and this year I can, except again I can't. This fucking stinks.

2 comments:

rainbeau_peep said...

yes, but it can be quite ghastly, u know. I mean ... an entire body emerging from such a tiny lil place ... i'm convinced i don't want any evidence of MY labour etc ... ooh, what a terribly unphotogenic affair! *flutters n faints*

fyn scarlet reed said...

I completely agree that it's ghastly and painful and not very photogenic... but it's *real*, and I think men have a habit of avoiding what is real about women - one report I read said something to the effect that the man was horrified and *shocked* to discover that his wife's vagina wasn't just there so that he could... um, this is me being blunt as usual, lol, you get my drift.